What Happens if Your MedFlight911 Medical Transport is Canceled or Postponed?
When working in the medical field (in any capacity) things come up and plans change. Here at MedFlight911 we understand how delicate medical transportation can be, which is why we treat it with the utmost care and flexibility.
Sometimes, after a trip is scheduled, we come across roadblocks – a facility doesn't have a bed, the patient is too sick to travel, bad weather, political unrest (this is more common with international air ambulances and is infrequent), airport closures, mechanical issues or crew issues, or sadly patient death – that cause postponement or cancellation of a medical transport. In all of these cases we work closely with the patient or their family until the issue is resolved. We often receive questions about how we plan a medical transport and what happens if the trip needs to be canceled or postponed. The answer is it varies by patient needs and the type of transport.
After we are contacted and contracted for transport we immediately start making arrangements. When we are contracted for ground transport, we must identify the closest and most appropriate crew and medical motor coach. Generally, once the trip is set, this can be canceled up to 24 hours ahead of time (without any fees) as long as the medical motor coach is not making its way to the patient. However, if the coach is moving towards the patient, the patient is responsible for covering the costs incurred if they need to cancel. If the coach is not already in route, the patient is only liable for the administrative costs (which are very reasonable).
Whenever possible we try to arrange ground transport trips to be linked to another – Phoenix to LA and then another trip from San Diego to Washington, for example – which reduces costs. Unfortunately, if a trip is postponed and can no longer be linked, then the cost savings are lost on the rescheduled trip.
Air medical escort
With an air medical escort, once the family has confirmed they are working with MedFlight911, we will begin working with the airline's medical department and assign an escort to the patient. We make all the airline arrangements for the patient and the escort and receive a quote and a travel itinerary from the airline. We work very quickly to get the information to the patient and/or family, however, if they wait too long to decide on the itinerary, the costs are likely to change (just like a normal plane ticket). 85% of the costs for air medical escort are airline related, the remaining 15% are administrative.
MedFlight911 always purchases trip insurance to cover the possibility of postponement or cancellation. However, when a trip is postponed or canceled, it can take several weeks for the airline to reimburse the patient. We quickly submit medical paperwork to the airline demonstrating why the flight needed to be changed and then wait for the insurance company to issue the reimbursement. In the meantime, new tickets may need to be purchased and the patient or family is responsible for covering that cost.
While postponement or cancellation of a medical transport does not happen too often, it does happen. At MedFlight911 we try to make these changes as smooth and easy for you as possible and resolve the issues in a timely fashion.
Check back next week to find out what happens when an air ambulance trip is canceled or postponed!
When you need a medical transport, you need someone you can trust! Give us a call at 888-359-1911 or get a no-obligation air medical transport quote here.